Page last updated: 10/06/20
Lyveden New Bield
The Re-Discovery Story
Updates relating to changes/plans/proposals at Lyveden
Since the creation of this website, a number of changes have occurred, or are in the process of being implemented or investigated. Information on two of these is available here.
1. Lyveden Re-Connected. The most significant change for the property at Lyveden, and its visitors, is the conversion of the Lyveden manor house. This building, now referred to as the ‘Old Bield’, was one of the Tresham’s family homes. Over the centuries since then, much of the original building(s) have been modified, removed or converted meaning that it no loger bears much resemblence to that earlier home. However, it still has some historic significance and represents the base (or beginning) of Tresham’s journey leading from his home, through his garden, and on to the New Bield (or Lodge) at the top of the hill.
Mark Bradshaw had always hoped that the National Trust would eventually acquire the manor house, and that the ‘dream’ of connecting the ‘Old Bield’, the Elizabethan Garden, and the ‘New Bield’ together again, would become a reality. That reality is currently (2019/20) under construction – click ‘Lyveden Reconnected‘ for a summary of the project.
2. Paterre evidence re-assessment. In late 2018, more photographic evidence of the original parterre came to light. This prompted a new investigation to be carried out, in the hope that by looking at all the available information together, this could result in a more accurate depiction of the parterre as it was when work stopped on Sir Thomas’s Lyveden project in 1605. Click on ‘parterre re-visited‘ to access this report.
Further to this investigation, a more speculative idea evolved which is described in section 5 of the ‘parterre re-visited’ report.